Conference & AGM 2011
Special Needs Parents Association Conference ‘Bringing Parents Together’
Saturday 1st Oct
Gibson Hotel Dublin
The Special Needs Parents Association is pleased to invite you to its inaugural Conference & AGM at the Gibson Hotel, Dublin. We hope to provide parents with an opportunity to meet each other and the team behind the Special Needs parents Association. The aim of the Conference is to bring parents together and give you the opportunity to learn about national and international projects involving parents, children and young people with disabilities.
Our other aim is to provide you with information on therapies in the home environment and assistive technology and its uses in education .We have several exhibit stands ranging from independent therapy services, disability equipment, Play and therapy tools shop and information stands. Our Area Reps will be available at our information stand to answer any queries in relation to education, health and welfare provision.
Information and equitment stands include
- CATTS Ireland who provide private therapy services and will have therapists on hand for short free consultations with parents on the day.
- Sensational Kids will have plenty of therapy and play equitment on display for sale and therapists to help you find something useful and fun for your child.
- Grace App for iPhone, iTouch and iPad- Picture Exchange for Non-Verbal People. Lisa Domican will be demonstrating the benefits and uses of Grace App
- National Assistive Technology Training Centre which is part of Enable Ireland will have a SLT displaying an array of communication and AT devices such as adapted mouse, buttons for pc and pictorial based aids.
- Northern Healthcare equitment will have a large display of SN buggies for larger children, adapted trikes, safety headgear and more. A great opportunity to see equitment firsthand.
- Hear 2 Listen & Learn- talk to a physiotherapist and teacher who offer Vestibular, Auditory & Visual Training and Computerised self–voice programme for improving reading & spelling ages.
- Special Needs Parents Association information stand will have Area reps who are all parents themselves, on hand to answer questions and provide you with information on education, health, welfare and support groups and a comprehensive selection of leaflets and application forms.
Key Note Speaker
Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald
Caroline Canton Program Co-coordinator ‘Progressing Disability Services for Children and Young People’
This national programme and restructuring of services will have implications for all children with special needs and disabilities from 0-18yrs and parents themselves can become part of the consultation process to ensure that your children as service users receive a service that meets their needs. A proposed greater integration between services and schools is part of the project.
Tommy Boyle Co-founder of Myspecialneeds.ie and the international project ‘Our World United’
Tommy Boyle is a parent of a child with Intellectual and physical disabilities who successfully attends mainstream school with support. Michael features in the short film ‘Inclusion’ which documents michaels journey starting school and the challenges staff had to overcome.
Margot Barry MSc, B.OT Clinical Manager/Specialist Sensational Kids.
Margot will be outlining ways to integrate therapies into everyday homelife which can often cause difficulties when parents face so many other demands on their time.
Juliann Bergin AT Assessor & Training
National Assistive Technology Training Service
Juliann is a qualified SLT who trains parents, users, employers and educators in the use of assistive technology and the different devices and software that can open up a new world of communication and overcome physical limitations in both home, school and work environments.
Short Film- Inclusion
Conference & AGM Timetable
09:30 Registration Tea/Coffee & Exhibit stands.
10:15 Welcome address and speakers.
11:35 Break & exhibit stands
11:50 Speakers contd.
13:10 Lunch & exhibit stands
14:00 AGM -Chairpersons Statement of activities,
Secretary’s report, Treasurer’s report, Motions, Resolutions & Nominations
15:45 Closing address
16:00 End of event
Conference Fee only €20
To include Tea/Coffee
Plus free entry into competition. Prizes include free nights in hotel, spa packages, hampers, Off We Go Book Series and more.
the gibson hotel Point Village Dublin 1 GPS coordinates 53.348518; 6.228583
Tel: +353 (0)1 681 5000 Fax: +353 (0)1 681 5001 Email: email@example.com